Pipkin

Pipkin
Juan Fernando, Juan Franco, Danny Loza

Monday, December 5, 2011

Smart Goals (Juan Franco)

S
I want to create positive change in the Drury community before 2012 is over in an effort to increase awareness about Diversity so that we as a society can benefit from the experience.
M
I will know when my progress is moving forward when I observe how people I know change their behavior towards diversity issues. Sadly, parts of this campus are not friendly towards things that defy the majority, they are not used to change or doing things in a different manner. I personally am living proof of this, I have felt the resentment when I speak towards issues they are not used to discussing. I do not like to generalize as there are people in this campus who share my vision and recognize that there are better ways of doing things. I will test the people to observe whether they have committed to change through innovation.
A
As tough as it sounds I believe that to accept change the status quo needs to be challenged. People will struggle to commit but as one my favorite quotes says: it is always darkest before sunrise, symbolizing how things may get very bad but when they hit bottom this is when our desired goal will become a reality. People need to be pushed and pushed until they realize that not only there are other options and ways of life out there, but actually a better way of doing things. I will encourage being different since this will create a greater pool of perspectives.
R
I can accept this sounds extremely tough and there might be repercussions socially, but it is my motivation that will never change. I just cannot accept that I live in an environment that does not consider Diversity a priority. Although Drury as an institution has made deep promises concerning this, it is the students that must be part of the change and if they don’t do it then who will? That’s why it’s realistic, we don’t have another choice. However I also find strength to fulfill this because of my life experiences, experiences that have shown me this path is the way to go.
T
Just this month I won the election to become the new Vice President of Diversity and Inclusion for the Student Government Association here at Drury, and it is through this position that I’ll spearhead my movement. Although I would very much like to make this a life-long goal, the position I represent gives me legitimacy hard to obtain through other methods and so my timeline will be 1 year from January 1st to December 31st of 2012. In one year I will attempt to create change in a community that needs it desperately
 - Juan Franco

No comments:

Post a Comment